Is it just me or is charcoal completely taking over beauty and health aisles lately? Products with activated charcoal in them claim to help detoxify the body and remove impurities from the surface of your skin. You can find charcoal in everything from face masks to cleansing juices, but it didn't always have such a glamorous list of uses to its name.
Doctors have been using it for years to help people recover from alcohol poisoning and drug overdoses. Activated charcoal is carbon that's been heated to to an extremely high temperature which causes pores to form on the surface. Those pores are the reason everyone raves about activated charcoal - they're said to trap toxins that would otherwise be absorbed by the body. We're not scientists, so we rounded up some of the coolest charcoal products you can try out at home to see if charcoal earns a place in your beauty routine.
1. Dirty Lemon Daily Detox: Repeat after me, "This is not a cleanse". You can eat regular food and still enjoy the health benefits of lemon, activated charcoal, dandelion root and ginger. Plus, the bottle is pretty slick looking.
2. Glamglow Supermud Clearing Treatment: The surest way to scare your significant other is a face covered in Supermud. Sometimes you gotta get dirty to get clean though right?
3. Schoolhouse Electric & Supply Co. Charcoal Toothbrush: Ever wonder what latches onto your toothbrush when you're not around? This toothbrush with charcoal blended into the bristles promises to ward off bacteria that might want to post up in between brushes. Also, they add a little bit of drama to a crisp all-white bathroom.
4. Balm & Co. Activated Charcoal Toner: There are lots of different charcoal cleansers, but this toner touts it's ability to detox and balance even the most sensitive, acne-prone skin.
5. Apoterra Skincare Activated Charcoal + Dead Sea Salt Soap: Scrub away impurities with a deep cleansing complexion bar that won't irritate your face.
Have you ever used any health or beauty products that contained activated charcoal? Let us know what your favorite is in the comments section below so we can try it out!